I’m just one of the many who have been fortunate enough to fall in love with music.
It’s become the better part of me in 2007, when I joined Descântec, the band I basically grew up with as an artist, as well as a human being. And I’ve never stopped learning.
Ever since then, I’ve been priviledged to have talented and skillful artists around me, challenging me and shaping me towards becoming better, one way or another. I’ve easily embraced jazz, funk, neo soul and bossa nova more than anything else. But genres have become quite some hazy references nowadays, as music is constantly changing, blending and merging everything – and so am I. Some of the artists that deeply inspire me are Esperanza Spalding, Jacob Collier, Cyrille Aimee, Lianne La Havas, Michael Mayo and the list goes on.
The thing that I’m most into lately is musical theory! I’ve been playing and singing with mere theoretical reference since the very beginning. But music has so much more to offer and there are parts of it that can only be unlocked (or better harnessed) by means of theory. Thus, as of January 2020, I’ve decided to take up music theory lessons – practice, homework and everything! My ultimate goal is to improve my improvisational skills and – hopefully – to be able to come up with some own songs that I can be proud of.
I’ve also been recording some impromptu live performances with two of my talented friends and there’s more of that coming!
- The Voice of Romania – I’ve managed to impress and turn two out of four chairs in the Blind Auditions: Irina Rimes and Tudor Chirilă. I chose Irina’s team and went on to The Battles. My final step in the competition was The Knockouts. It was a completely new experience for me, that massively got me out of my comfort zone and from which I learned quite a lot.
- LoungeBreak – A musical concept created together with Vlad Stoica and Ciprian Onița, consisting of live gigs at the office.
- Musical collaborations with friends – always a pleasure!
- Open Jazz Jam Session in Odense, Denmark
- Sofar Sounds Iași (September) – Performed a few songs on my own (something that almost never happens!) – I was very nervous, but the audience and the vibe was amazing!
- Sofar Sounds Iași (March) – Performed together with Andrei Radu (guitar) and Rusu Lucian (percussion)
- Rocanotherworld | Sofar Sounds Iași – Performed with J. C. Acoustic Duo.
- J. C. Acoustic Duo – A beautiful music project in which I sang and played the guitar next to the masterly bassist, John Mantucci.
- I was priviledged to perform with the Jassy Jazz Orchestra at the Palace of Culture.
- Collaborated with drummer & music producer Vlad Apetroaie and recorded a single – Respir. It was quite an unusual project for me, but with plenty of new things to learn.
- Started taking CVT lessons (Complete Vocal Technique) with the amazing Andra Botez.
- Jazz vocalist, playing with various combos including artists like: Vlad Stoica (percussion), Constantin Bîzgă (double bass), Cătălin Huțanu (piano), Răzvan Boroda (piano), Alexandru Nechifor (saxophone) et al. We’ve been having concerts in local pubs, private gigs, jam sessions and multiple other collaborations.
2016 - PRESENT
2007 - 2015
- Lead singer and guitar in Descântec (Andrei Radu – guitar, Roxana Amarandi – violin & vocals, Albu Cătălin – percussion, Pșait Andrei – bass and previously Mădălina Darabană – vocals). Travelled across the country, taking part in various music festivals, camps, concerts and musical events. Wrote quite a few songs together with my bandmates; most of them can still be found on YouTube: Gând de toamnă, Să fie joi, Lasă-mă, Cântecul unui copil al nimănui, Seară de vară, Sărut, Un fel de descântec, Zburătorul, Noi și pământul, Dacă, Amintirea ta, Fulg de nea, Joc în doi.
Besides music, I love rock climbing – a passion I only recently discovered, but gladly embraced. I took a beginner’s climbing course at the end of 2017 and have practiced climbing ever since (indoor and outdoor). I highly recommend going on a climbing trip to Fontainebleau (France), one of the best bouldering areas of the world that I was fortunate to visit (and climb!).